We’ve painted our share of paint displays over the past few months to accommodate the growing demand for the paints we carry in our three West Michigan locations.
One of my favorites was re-purposed out of an antique Victrola Cabinet. I had never seen one like this before but it sure is cool. All I had to do was remove the doors and build shelving to create a pretty unique display case.
Fireworks Red over Wild Horses with Clear & Dark Wax
Can you see the difference on the bottom? The left has been waxed, the right is raw paint.
I loved the wood finish on this piece and felt it would look beautiful refinished so I stained it with a deep espresso stain. This looked absolutely beautiful until I got sidetracked and forgot to wipe off the excess stain. OOPS!! Everything dried to a sticky mess so I had to clean it all off and start over again. This time, I thought I better stick to what I know best ~ paint! I chose one of my all time favorites, APC’s Firework’s Red!
This red is gorgeous in and of itself, but for this particular display, I wanted more of a vintage feel, so I sealed it with a combination of both Clear and Dark Antiquing Wax. I sealed the majority of it with the clear and just worked the dark in the detailed areas and corners.
I love the richness of the color and how silky smooth the waxed finish feels. That’s a big one with me. There’s a lot of painted furniture out there but a lot of it doesn’t FEEL nice. If you’re ever in the area, stop by and check it out. It’s the American Paint Company quart display at our Caledonia Vintage Marketplace location in Caledonia, Michigan. This large home was recently transformed into the neatest store packed with fantastic vendors.
While I was busy painting the display for our APC quarts, my sister Cathy went to town on the sample display using a combination of APC’s Shining Seas and dry-brushed on a little Blue Jeans for subtle highlights.
She also re-purposed a pallet our paint comes in on to make a cool sign. After Cath finished designing the flag, she painted over everything with a wash of Tumbleweed to give it a vintage flag appearance.
She did the same thing with the blue sign on the floor. This picture was shot a while ago before we got all the metallic mica powders, American Grit and bottles of Top Coat and Brush Cleaner.
Those displays were a piece of cake, then came the Big Kahuna!
We wanted one large display case to hold everything for our Not So Shabby location so we went hunting and found a perfect China Cabinet. First step was a major de-greasing because on the drive over to check it out, the owner went out of his way to shine it all up with Armor All! Thank you sir, but you REALLY REALLY didn’t have to do that .
After a thorough cleaning, all we had to do was paint it but wait, APC just added a new 7-1/2” tall bottle for their Topcoat and Surface Prep/Brush Cleaner. Now we had to change shelf sizes!
APC’s Top Coat
I based everything in another one of my favorite combinations by mixing Wild Horses and Freedom Road. I mix the brown with Lincoln’s Hat if I want a deeper color. It’s not rocket science, just play around and see what shade you like.
Base Coat Wild Horses mixed 50:50 with Freedom Road
When I applied the paint, I slapped it on in all sorts of different directions to create texture and grab the paint later on down the road. This was a while ago, but knowing me, I applied two thin coats of this color to build upon.
Now back to the additional space requirement. Since we don’t have the luxury of a hunky carpenter in our workshop, we had to use our imagination and asked ourselves…
What would Carter do?
We love Carter, unfortunately he’s not tucked away in our garage so we had to take our own measurements then off to Home Depot to beef up our display. Cathy took the bull by the horns for this part. She’s a measure twice, cut once kind of gal, unlike myself who gets sidetracked a thousand times a day as my husband quickly gets my attention by yelling “Hey squirrel!”
We super-sized the china cabinet by adding 2 x 8’s between the top and bottom halves. They aren’t truly 8” but they were just wide enough to allow for the new bottles which is all we needed. Then all we had to do is add a new bottom to the top of the cabinet and the painting could begin.
Before I shot this picture, I had started painting it in Navajo White but when I stuck a can inside to see how it looked in it’s new outfit, it was B O R I N G !!!
I did what any other painter would do, chose a different color which ended up being a wash of Smoke Signal, again in a “any which way” manner to build more interest to the finish.
APC’s Smoke Signal Wash over Base Coat of Wild Horses/Freedom Road
Ahh, much better! I wet distressed everything but still couldn’t leave it alone, that would be too easy! I tend to torture myself and take everything one step farther than necessary. This time, I created a second watered-down wash using APC’s Dessert Cactus.
I added this randomly to both the light and dark areas creating more interest and variation in color and texture.
I sealed the lighter areas in Clear Antiquing Wax and used APC’s Dark Antiquing Wax over the Darker sections. Here’s a close up of the finish.
Stop in and check it out!
Post courtesy of Shelly Andrade of Shizzle Design in Michigan