I found this hutch at the neighborhood Goodwill just asking to be rescued and given new life. It was just sitting there for only $10! I couldn’t resist!
The first thing I did was to remove the glass doors in order to make the cabinet open and allow me to showcase other goodies. Next, there was a hole in the back wall of the cabinet. I filled it with wood putty (I used Dry Dex Spackling with a putty knife) and covered the back with plywood using a staple gun.
Then the paint process began. I painted the inside and outside with American Paint Company’s Lincoln’s Hat.
The next part is one of my favorites!!! DISTRESSING! American Paint Company’s paint is awesome because all you need is a damp washcloth to give you a clean, controlled distressed look.
I chose to cover the inside back piece, that had the repaired hole, with a heavy muslin fabric with beautiful stripes. First, I sprayed the board in the places I wanted to lay down fabric and let it set so it got tacky, then smoothed the fabric down. There are three adhesives that I use in order from best, better, and good: A1 Foam and Fabric Spray, Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Spray, and Elmer’s Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive. I left enough overlap so when I stapled the back piece to the frame I got a secure fit. Then I just trimmed the overhang.
I finished the paint job with American Paint Company’s Top Coat. I used the top coat instead of the wax because it is easier to wipe down when cleaning. Lastly, I added some new knobs, and waaahhlaa!