While in most cases you don’t need to do any sanding, priming or prep work before repainting your old furniture, it’s a good idea to make sure you have a clean surface prior to painting with APC.
Even if your piece appears to be clean, older furniture has a lot of dust, grime and grease built up over the years. It’s important to give your furniture a good cleaning before you begin painting, so that the paint adheres to a clean surface.
American Paint Company’s organic and 100% natural Surface Prep & Brush Cleaner is one of the best cleaners for the job. It smells like citrus and suds up nicely! In fact, you don’t even need to use that much, just mix a little bit with water.
In this tutorial, we’ll walk you through how to clean your piece with APC’s Surface Prep cleaner:
Step 1: Gather your supplies
Here’s what you’ll need:
- – 24 oz spray bottle
- – Tablespoon
- – Clean cloth
- – APC’s Surface Prep Cleaner
Step 2: Add the mixture
To use the cleaner effectively, DO NOT use more cleaner than recommended below. Too much cleaner will cause too many suds, and may have a negative effect when you paint your piece. Remember, a little goes a long way.
- – Fill spray bottle with 2 1/2 cups of water.
- – Measure out one tablespoon of APC’s Surface Prep Cleaner.
- – Pour tablespoon of APC’s Surface Prep Cleaner into the spray bottle.
- – Mix well to combine APC’s Surface Prep Cleaner and water.
Step 3: Spray onto your piece
- – Spray directly onto dirty surface.
Step 4: Wipe down
- – Using a cloth, wipe down the surface
- – Make sure all areas of the furniture has been thoroughly cleaned
Step 5: Dry the Surface
- – It is important to completely dry the surface
- – DO NOT apply the paint until the surface has been completely dried
TIP: When you’re done painting your furniture, you can also use the solution to clean your specialty paint brush to give it a longer life!
Step 6: Begin Painting!
You’ll find the American Paint Company’s Organic and 100% Natural Surface Prep & Brush Cleaner at an Authorized APC Retailer near you!